News, Announcements, Photos and Items of Particular Interest for the Greater Houston Harp Community
A Houston Legend - Mildred Milligan
2017 Mildred Milligan Harp Competition!
Sunday, March 26, 1pm
Registration deadline: March 1, 2017
Calling all Houston-area Harpists!
The Greater Houston Chapter of the American Harp Society is pleased to announce the 2017 Mildred Milligan Scholarship Competition for members of the GHC.
The competition will take place on Sunday, March 26, 2017, 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm at St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church.
The main goals of this competition are educational: encouraging student growth and
development by challenging harpists to prepare for an adjudicated performance and building a sense of community for Houston area harpists.
Chloe Tula - 2014
Mayetta Im - 2012
Emily Klein - 2011
Susanna Campbell 2011
2012 Milligan Contestants
All contestants, and their teachers, must be members of the Greater Houston Chapter of the American Harp Society. Membership application is included on the last page of the
● Students will perform before a judge (without a screen). Parents, family members,
teachers, and friends are permitted to listen during students’ performance. The judge’s
decisions are final.
● First place winners in each category will perform both required and free choice pieces for the May or September meeting of the Houston Harp Chapter. Second and Third place winners will perform their free choice piece for the May or September meeting of the Houston Harp Chapter.
● First Place Winners in all categories will receive a cash prize. A runner-up will be
chosen for all divisions and will receive a gift certificate from Melody’s Traditional
Music, care of the GHC.
● In addition to a cash prize, the First Place Winner of the Division VI (college level) will
receive a recital performance opportunity as part of the GHC’s 2017-2018 program
season. Repertoire may include chamber music as well as solo.
● Arrival and audition time will be sent via email to all registered contestants.
To participate in the competition students must prepare from memory both a required piece, which is listed on the application form by division, and a “free choice” piece. Division VI prepares two free choice pieces. The time limit of the free choice piece varies by division.
Contestants will be judged by a professional harpist.
Grand Legacy Studio Audience at Milligan Winner's Program